Saturday, February 21, 2015

Nursing Care for Cystic Fibrosis

As a nurse caring for a patient with cystic fibrosis, there are several different interventions that you should have in place. As a patient with cystic fibrosis, it is important that you recognize your needs and communicate them to your nurse and other members of your patient care team to ensure that you receive the care that you deserve.

One of the primary goals of treatment is to prevent and treat pulmonary infections. This can be accomplished by improving aeration/oxygenation, removing the thick secretions, and providing the patient with antibiotic medications. A primary concern for the nurse is the patient's airway. It is important that the patient's respiratory status is monitored and the airway is clear from secretions so that the patient can breathe as normally as possible. Lung sounds should be monitored and various ways of expelling mucus should be employed (including chest physiotherapy, flutter mucus clearance devices, and hand-held percussors/special percussor vests. It will be important to have oxygen available in the patient's room in case of a bad episode of decreased breathing and oxygenation.

The second area of focus for the nurse will be on the gastrointestinal system. The nurse should ensure that the child's nutritional needs are being met with a high-calorie, high-protein diet that is rich in many vitamins. The nurse should be monitoring daily weights and heights, since many children with CF tend to not grow as quickly. The nurse should also pay attention to any bowel movements that the patient has and listen to the bowel tones in the intestines to make sure there is no intestinal obstruction. The stool should be observed to determine how sticky and difficult to pass it may be. The nurse should teach the child to sit upright after eating to prevent the development of gastroesophageal acid reflux.

Some other areas the nurse should focus on include: checking blood glucose levels, providing emotional support to the parents/child, and educating the child/parents about the care involved. It is important that the nurse supports the patient as they undergo the different stages of childhood development. The nurse plays a very important role in preparing the parents and child for home care with cystic fibrosis. This includes education on different pieces of equipment used to manage the disease and education on signs and symptoms to watch for that may indicate a serious complication and the need for hospital care.

The table below summarizes what areas of focus the nurse should maintain during their care of the patient with cystic fibrosis.


System of Focus
Nursing Interventions
Respiratory System
-prevent and treat pulmonary infections
-improve oxygenation
-remove thick mucus secretions (chest physiotherapy, flutter device, percussion vests/hand percussion)
-administer antibiotics
-listen to lung sounds
-have oxygen available in room
Gastrointestinal System
-ensure adequate nutrition of the patient
-diet should be high-calorie, high-protein, and high in vitamins
-monitor daily weight/height
-watch for signs of constipation/intestinal obstructions
-listen to bowel tones
-observe stool for stickiness
-prevent GERD by placing child upright after eating
Other
-monitor blood glucose levels
-monitor bone growth
-provide emotional support to parents and child
-provide support to child as they undergo stages of childhood development
-provide patient and parent education
-prepare patient and parents for home-care

There are many helpful websites with information on the nursing care of the patient with cystic fibrosis. These websites are valuable resources for both nurse and the patient. It is important that the patient understand their diagnosis and can verbalize to the nurse what their needs are. Look at the websites below for more information. They all provide information on what areas of focus should be in nursing care, the importance of interdisciplinary collaboration to care for the patient with CF, and some information on CF centers that specialize in the care of cystic fibrosis patients. 

http://www.cysticfibrosis.org.uk/media/82046/nursing-management-standards-may01.pdf

http://nursing.advanceweb.com/Continuing-Education/CE-Articles/Cystic-Fibrosis.aspx

http://www.elsevier.com/__data/promis_misc/2005.pdf

References: 

Silvestri, L. (2014). Pediatric Respiratory Disorders. In Saunders comprehensive review for the NCLEX-RN examination (6th ed., pp. 482-483). St. Louis, Mo.: Elsevier/Saunders

4 comments:

  1. Dr. Imoloa has really made me so much believe in him by getting me cured with his herbal treatment. i really appreciate you Dr.imoloa for bringing back happiness to my life again. thank you so much,friends join me to thank him for what he has actually done for me i pray to you all for a good life and good health, and most especially to you Dr. imoloa Thanks

    I have been suffering from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) disease for the past four years and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulating all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctors, few months ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information concerning the cure of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) by this Man Dr imoloa and she drop the email address of this man and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so i wrote to Dr. imoloa telling him about my (HERPES Virus) well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me. I am now here to testify that i am no longer a herpes patient, I have experience a total transformation in my life,for all herpes patients get your herbal medicine to cure your sickness. And there has being rapid improvement in my health, I no longer feel pains and I wake up each morning feeling revived. So friends my advise is if you have such sickness or any other at all,you can contact him on drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com, you can still reach him on whatssap- +2347081986098
    CANCER
    EPILEPSY.
    GENPILENCIN.
    HIV AIDS.
    DIABETICS
    STROKE.
    BREAST ENLARGEMENT...PENIS ENLARGEMENT, H.P.V TYPE 1 TYPE 2 TYPE 3 AND TYPE 4. TYPE HUMAN PAPAILOMA VIRUS HERPES. SYPHILIS. HEPATITIS A B and C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MY TESTIMONY ABOUT HOW DR IMOLOA HERBAL CREAM ENLARGE MY PENIS FROM 4 INCHES TO 8 INCHES

    Hello everyone here i want to share a marvelous testimony oh how Dr Imoloa HERBAL MIXTURE CREAM saved me from shame and disgrace .So Many Women Today Cheat On Their Husband All Because Of The Poor Performance Of Their Husband In Bed,I Have Come To Know That Women Love Men Who Last Long In Bed And Also Has That Big Dick That Can Make Them Scream And Also Make Them Rich Their Climax,Women Truly Love Good Sex. I Have Been Passing True Sexual Problems For The Past Six Years Now All Because Of The Size Of My Penis And My Poor Performance In Bed I Caught My Wife With A Man On Our Matrimonial Bed I Was Heart Broken And Confused When I Asked Her Why She Did All What She Did She Told Me I Was Not Good In Bed That I Can Not Satisfy Her That She Needs A Man Who Can Satisfy Her That Was How She Broke Up With Me At That Moment. I Told My Self I Was Never Going To Have Any Thing To Do With Any Woman Again I Started Going To The Club Sleeping Around With Different Girls at a Point I Got Tired Of Living That Kind Of Life Because That Was Never Part Of Me I Was On Line Last Month When I Came Across so many testimonies On Dr imoloa, How He Made their Sex Life Come Back To Life And That He Had Giving Them The Real Size Of Penis A Man Suppose To Have I Got Interested And I Contacted Him At Once Luckily For Me He Was Online After About 30 Minutes He Replied Me And Then He Told Me Every Thing I Needed To Do After Every Thing He Sent Me A herbal cream Package True The DHL courier Service Which I Received The Next three Days And Then I Started Using Them As Instructed By Him After About 2 Weeks I Started Seeing My Penis Got to 8 inches And i Felt So Many Changes Inside Of Me And Today I Am Happily Married With 2 kids And Last Up more than 1 Hour On Bed and can go up to 10 rounds with my wife All Thanks To Dr imoloa For Making Me Feel Like A Man Once Again.note he also have cure for......
    PENIS ENLARGEMENT, BREAST ENLARGEMENT, DIABETES 1/2,HIV/AIDS,HERPES,CANCER,PREMATURE EJACULATION,WEAK ERECTION,ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION ,LOW SPERM COUNT PREGNANCY HERBAL MEDICINE HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE LOW SPERM COUNT LYME DISEASE many more.. Contact Him At drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com or whatssapp--+2347081986098

    ReplyDelete
  3. MY TESTIMONY ABOUT HOW DR IMOLOA HERBAL CREAM ENLARGE MY PENIS FROM 4 INCHES TO 8 INCHES

    Hello everyone here i want to share a marvelous testimony oh how Dr Imoloa HERBAL MIXTURE CREAM saved me from shame and disgrace .So Many Women Today Cheat On Their Husband All Because Of The Poor Performance Of Their Husband In Bed,I Have Come To Know That Women Love Men Who Last Long In Bed And Also Has That Big Dick That Can Make Them Scream And Also Make Them Rich Their Climax,Women Truly Love Good Sex. I Have Been Passing True Sexual Problems For The Past Six Years Now All Because Of The Size Of My Penis And My Poor Performance In Bed I Caught My Wife With A Man On Our Matrimonial Bed I Was Heart Broken And Confused When I Asked Her Why She Did All What She Did She Told Me I Was Not Good In Bed That I Can Not Satisfy Her That She Needs A Man Who Can Satisfy Her That Was How She Broke Up With Me At That Moment. I Told My Self I Was Never Going To Have Any Thing To Do With Any Woman Again I Started Going To The Club Sleeping Around With Different Girls at a Point I Got Tired Of Living That Kind Of Life Because That Was Never Part Of Me I Was On Line Last Month When I Came Across so many testimonies On Dr imoloa, How He Made their Sex Life Come Back To Life And That He Had Giving Them The Real Size Of Penis A Man Suppose To Have I Got Interested And I Contacted Him At Once Luckily For Me He Was Online After About 30 Minutes He Replied Me And Then He Told Me Every Thing I Needed To Do After Every Thing He Sent Me A herbal cream Package True The DHL courier Service Which I Received The Next three Days And Then I Started Using Them As Instructed By Him After About 2 Weeks I Started Seeing My Penis Got to 8 inches And i Felt So Many Changes Inside Of Me And Today I Am Happily Married With 2 kids And Last Up more than 1 Hour On Bed and can go up to 10 rounds with my wife All Thanks To Dr imoloa For Making Me Feel Like A Man Once Again.note he also have cure for......
    PENIS ENLARGEMENT, BREAST ENLARGEMENT, DIABETES 1/2,HIV/AIDS,HERPES,CANCER,PREMATURE EJACULATION,WEAK ERECTION,ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION ,LOW SPERM COUNT PREGNANCY HERBAL MEDICINE HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE LOW SPERM COUNT LYME DISEASE many more.. Contact Him At drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com or whatssapp--+2347081986098

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is another testimony on how Chief Dr Lucky cured my HIV disease. Do you need a cure for your HIV disease? Do you want to be cured from your cancer disease? Or you want to be free from any type of disease. Kindly visit https://chiefdrluckyherbaltherapy.wordpress.com/ . He just cured my HIV disease and I’m very grateful to him, he is the only herbalist that can cure you.
    WhatsApp number : +2348132777335
    Via Email : chiefdrlucky@gmail.com
    Thank you all for reading,
    God bless"

    ReplyDelete